He is an economist, so he gives economics answers. And that is good, particularly from my point of view. The quick answer to the first question is that the payoff is better for students and the public now than in the 1970’s.This strikes me as good starting place to take a broad look at college education.
Sunday, February 05, 2006
Economics and Higher Education
Daniel S. Hamermesh at UT-Austin writes about the economic value of a college degree. On his blog at NCTE, Paul Bodmer comments that
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
I was going to entitle this piece "critical thinking squared" as a cute way to imply critical thinking about critical thinking, b...
-
Inside Higher Ed today has a piece on " The Rise of Edupunk ." I didn't find much new in the article, except that perhaps mai...
-
Sign, sign Everywhere a sign Blockin' out the scenery Breakin' my mind Do this, don't do that Can't you read the sign? -...
-
The annual NACUBO report on tuition discounts was covered in Inside Higher Ed back in April, including a figure showing historical rates. (...
-
I just came across a 2007 article by Daniel T. Willingham " Critical Thinking: Why is it so hard to teach? " Critical thinking is ...
-
Here's a thought experiment. Imagine for a moment that there were no end-of-semester grades. No mad rush to see who graduated so we can...
-
A friend gave me a desk calendar with daily puzzles. Usually the numerical ones are easy, but last Friday the one above came up, and I co...
-
(A parable for academic workers and those who direct their activities) by David W. Kammler, Professor Mathematics Department Southern Illino...
-
There was a question on the ASSESS email list about evaluating grade distributions for courses. It's an interesting topic, and I dug out...
-
I've posted recently about some of our course evaluation statistics, and the effect of going from paper to electronic. A while back I a...
No comments:
Post a Comment