Browsing through the links, I found out about The Leap. Watch the video:
And also an idea apparently from Apple called Challenge Learning [pdf]. Excerpt:
Challenge Based Learning provides:
- A flexible framework with multiple entry points
- A scalable model with no proprietary systems or subscriptions
- A focus on global challenges with local solutions
This sounds a lot like where I have been headed. The only thing missing is the connection to a professional portfolio.
- An authentic connection between academic disciplines and real world experience
- A framework and workflow to develop 21st century skills
- The purposeful use of technology for researching, analyzing, organizing,
- collaborating, communicating, publishing and reflecting.
- The opportunity for learners to do something important now, rather than waiting until they are finished with their schooling
- The documentation and assessment of the learning experience from challenge to solution
- An environment for deep reflection on teaching and learning
- A process that places students in charge of their learning