Fortunately, other people have already solved this problem, and it's just a matter of putting the machinery in place. I used two pieces of software, GraphViz (thanks to AT&T and the development team) and the perl interface for it (thanks to developer Leon Brocard). Both of these are open source and free to use.
The only other thing I had to do was extract the prompts for each item to correspond to the item codes. Otherwise, you get a nice graph showing that RATE1 connects to RATE2, which doesn't help understand what's going on.
I used the CIRP data with a .5 threshold to get these interesting networks of association. It takes just a few seconds to select the threshold value, run the scripts, and look at the resulting file. The code for generating the graphs from the output of the correlation summaries is here. There are many, many options for displaying the graphs. The gallery of GraphViz images shows off the versatility of the software.
This software does a great job of placing nodes logically so that the edges (the lines) are organized and neat.
Update: Here is a complete output with some cool new modifications.